Friday, January 2, 2009
Sunday, October 26, 2008
I don't call myself a runner and I certainly wouldn't refer to myself as a champion, but Saturday found me and about 499 others at the 2008 Champions of Hope 5K Run/Walk "taking steps to stop breast cancer."
My nephew Harris asked me if I was hoping to place, to which I immediately replied NO, I am hoping to finish !! I plodded along at my steady jog over what seemed to me many hills with very few downhills to match !! ( I think the real runners call this gently rolling). I am happy to report that I finished in about 39 minutes and I never had to stop and walk ! I was unable to speak as I ran; but I was breathing ! I attribute my stamina to the playlist on my ipod. I know the people around me would have been surprised to hear what I was hearing....The South's Gonna Do it Again, Amazing Grace-My Chains are Gone, Brick House, Sweet Home Alabama, Rollin' on the River, Precious Lord Take My Hand, and Brown Eyed Girl--all in that order !!
It was a fun morning...I loved being joined by Erin, Victoria, Brock, and I was excited to see some of my Headland High Girls out so early in the morning !!
It is a good cause, one that has touched all of us. It was mine and Erin's honor to run in memory of my mother's sister, Mock and my daddy's sister, Mary. We ran in honor of friends in the midst of the battle including Christine Z. and Kristin S. We ran for others, knowing they would run for us.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Well, lately I have been pundering myself...this is what happens when you spend alot of time driving, cleaning, and working in the yard !!
I have been thinking about the lack of balance in our nation and in my own personal life.
Looking at the big picture:
Why is it....
- we provide financial bailouts and stimulus checks when we are running a budget in such a large deficit ?? I am unable to do this at home...when the money runs out here..the party is over !!
- I am giddy when I see gas at $2.59 per gallon !! I know we are being jerked around !!
In contrast...looking at the very small picture (that would be me):Why is it...
- I have allowed too much clutter and excess in my life ? I think what pushed me over the edge was a simple $4.00 bottle of nailpolish. I bought the same bottle twice..same color...because I couldn't find the one I had, as it had become lost in the clutter..then it turned up and had never been opened.
- I keep gaining and losing the same 10 ( or is it 20) pounds over and over and over and over...I know what to do...I have have taught the weight rules...limit your food and increase your activity..it truly is just that simple but why is it so hard ?
- I eat too much, spend too much, own too much, waste too much time and sleep too little...I am over 50 and I know better
- Procrastination rules my life...it is so much easier to handle life as it comes at me, yet I let it pile up and cause me stress
I don't know the answers to the "why is its ?" of the nation or of my personal life...
But I can't help but wonder and punder if the answer to the big picture and the small lies in a verse we are being reminded to pray :
2 Chronicles 7:14 " if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land"
As I have investigated the word humble, both Psalm 35:13 where David "...humbled myself with fasting" and Ezra 8:21"...I proclaimed a fast that we might humble ourselves before God" impress on me that maybe it is time to humble myself before God and allow Him to work in me.. maybe it's time for a fast from the excesses in my own life...
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Actually Erin's job has raised my awareness of the different forms of hospice care as well as the different hospice groups. Covenant raises monies to provide care for those in need. In the spring, Sidney and I helped with the Boston Butt Sale fundraiser. There, I met Victoria. She has become my Thursday morning walking partner as well a a sounding board for politics of the day and good recipes !!
This past weekend, Anita, me, Victoria, and Pat, worked at the Holiday of Hope Marketplace (Sandy and Yevonne worked also on another shift )...Covenant's fall fundraiser. To say these are my friends does not do our relationships justice; they are truly my sisters in Christ ( ah..but more on these and the other Coffee Girls in another post)
Thanks Erin...for the opportunity to serve...
Sunday, September 28, 2008
I have some very vivid memories of that night. I remember...
- Sidney was on the phone with his mother when he heard the rumblings; he threw the phone (still connected) to the floor and rushed us to the hallway
- My sister, Nancy and her girls were at Daddy and Mama's..seeking a safe place from a threatening hurricane. They were supposed to eat supper with us that night and I thank God they didn't come
- Finding a log chain that the wind had blown through a window and into the chair where Sidney would normally have been sitting watching the evening news
- The quick response and tremendous help of the Newville and Echo volunteer fire departments, family and friends.
We were all at home that night, in the house, just not in our typical "hanging out" spots. I know that God's hand was on each of us, protecting us from physical harm and granting us the grace to view the situation from His perspective.
- A house is just that...a home is people
- Things are just things...all replaceable...many unnecessary
- It is God's gift to accept help from His peole
- It is our mission to help others
- God can truly take an overwhelming situation and use it for good
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
The weatherman says this week marks the beginning of fall. We are well into the school year, into football season, and heading into the peanut harvest season, so he must be right !!!
These pictures are of our last "hurrah" of summer, as we enjoyed a visit with Sidney's sisters and brother in law at Lake Martin. A great weekend of food, family, touring of unbelievable lake homes, pontooning, and watching the brave ( including my nephews, Pierce and Harris) as they jumped from chimney rock. As always...we had a project...this time to help Mila complete her skirt wardrobe for school.
We have put away the bathing suits and towels until next year !!