Sunday, September 28, 2008

September 28, 1998

I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.
Psalm 57:1 (NIV)
I think we all define the timelines of our lives by certain milestone events. For my family, September 28, 1998 was truly one of those milestone events. Around 7:00 pm on that Monday night our house was hit by a tornado. The house was shifted on it's foundation, a side wall was torn away, and our lives were forever changed...for the better.



I have some very vivid memories of that night. I remember...
  • Sidney was on the phone with his mother when he heard the rumblings; he threw the phone (still connected) to the floor and rushed us to the hallway
  • My sister, Nancy and her girls were at Daddy and Mama's..seeking a safe place from a threatening hurricane. They were supposed to eat supper with us that night and I thank God they didn't come
  • Finding a log chain that the wind had blown through a window and into the chair where Sidney would normally have been sitting watching the evening news
  • The quick response and tremendous help of the Newville and Echo volunteer fire departments, family and friends.


We were all at home that night, in the house, just not in our typical "hanging out" spots. I know that God's hand was on each of us, protecting us from physical harm and granting us the grace to view the situation from His perspective.

Just what did He teach us ?

  • A house is just that...a home is people
  • Things are just things...all replaceable...many unnecessary
  • It is God's gift to accept help from His peole
  • It is our mission to help others
  • God can truly take an overwhelming situation and use it for good

2 comments:

ANN IN THE GAINES said...

I COULDN'T REMEMBER THE DATE--WAS TELLING A NEIGHBOR ABOUT THIS EVENT JUST THIS WEEKEND!

LAST NIGHT WAS LOVELY--SO PROUD OF SISTER--WHO'D EVER "THUNK"IT!!! THE LORD IS GRACIOUS!

Major Allen Espy said...

extraordinary. fabulous post. i remember when you came into the bank a day or two after. glad you survived that one. i'm guessing there's a show for you on discovery or something. =) btw, i love the music feature u added to your site...except it almost burst my eardrums! my headphones were turned up way too much. you've got me thinking of how i can add music too! we will see. i am a tad slow these days!